Being trapped in traffic for long can be both boring and painful.
In fact, back pains are common symptoms of spending many hours on the road.
As compared to the sensation that you feel while leaning on the chair in the office, your body feels many different forces when in the car.
These include vibrations, accelerations, and swaying.
But what is back pain when driving treatment and prevention
What causes back pain?
While driving, the vibration of the spine pushes the disks a lot in between your spinal cord.
This can eventually damage the disks leading to back pain.
In fact, it’s believed that these factors, combined with the design of the car seats, can increase the chances of developing a back pain. Basically, over 80% of those who drive daily for long, experience this.
If you push your head forward, stretch too far or adjust the seat badly, you are also likely to feel lower back pain.
Moreover, current cars have also reduced the roof line resulting in small internal space.
This position the seats lower and tilted backwards, thereby, making you uncomfortable.
Apart from this, it also strains the spinal cord since the seat is pushed backwards while the neck has to be kept at 2-0 degrees for you to look straight ahead.
Back pain when driving treatment
· It’s important to have a lumbar support.
This helps in alleviating back pain.
However, if your car lacks lumbar support, invest in a car that has one to avoid lower back pain while driving.
· Ensure that you adjust your steering wheel so that you can easily reach it while driving.
Thankfully, most cars nowadays offer tilt steering wheel options.
You can even change the position when on a journey.
· Your car seats should provide enough support especially if you are travelling long distance.
· Adjust your seats in such a way that you are correctly positioned to reach the pedals.
Remember, if your seats are far from the pedals, you can strain a lot.
· If you feel a lot of pain when driving manual cars, consider changing to automatic.
· It’s also advisable to take breaks in between the journey to lessen the severity of the pain.
Just get out of the car, move around, and stretch your legs instead of travelling in one go.